Sunday, June 19, 2011

Lagoon Day 2011

June 11, 2011 was the annual Russell Family-Visit-Lagoon Day. As always we had I blast, but every year I have to choose my roller coasters carefully.

Cami and I met up with Bryce (Cami's brother) and Kristy (Bryce's wife) at our house and drove up together. Upon entering the park we jumped in line for the "white roller coaster". The white roller coaster is the older ride still around at Lagoon. Every year I've ever been to Lagoon I ride this coaster first. Since this ride is so old it doesn't have the fear factor or whirl and twirl compared to newer rides at Lagoon such as: Spider, Mouse, Wicked, and the Rocket. Bryce, Kristy, Cami and I sat near the back of the coaster train and as we began ascending to the top of the first peak I started screaming. I had more than half the coaster train looking back at me. Throughout the ride I continued to scream random funny things. I wish I could remember now what I said.

After the ride was over I had that feeling it could be a very long day or short day depending on the next few rides I choose to stomach.

We rode the Colossus Firedragon and Wicked within 45 minutes of entering the park, but I knew I was done until after lunch. We met up with the rest of the Russell family and they rode on the "Turn of the Century" swing ride. I found out from the two kid rides I rode last year spinning in circles is no bueno. I don't think I'll ever be able to do the carousel again!

As you can see from the picture above we sat down for hamburgers and hotdogs for lunch. Bryce had finished his lunch before I sat down with my plate of food, so Bryce being bored, challenged me to put my chocolate chip cookie and potato salad in my double patty hamburger. The chocolate chips even melted a little to add a third dimension to my sandwich.

After lunch I had the stomach for just a few more rides; not because of the sandwich though. The entire family met over at the Sky Coaster: a bungee jump ride where Cami and I were strapped into harnesses, raised 145 feet, where I pulled the ripcord and plunged downward reaching 80 mph.

After this ride I felt I could do 2 more rides: Blast Off and Re-Entry. However the lines were too long because they were not working properly. After Cami and Bryce went on one more ride we left the park for our traditional visit to IHOP in Centerville.

I look back now and I can't ever think of a time where I only did 4 rides at an amusement park. There were years where I did each ride 2 or 3 times on a Saturday. A few years ago I found out my reason for my incapacity to do more than what I did a few Saturdays ago: too many concussions!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: