Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Paul's Surgery

Okay, so Paul had to have his gallbladder removed on Monday. No one told us how adventurous this could be!

We arrived at the hospital at 8 am and of course I led us to the wrong Same Day Surgery location. No one told us that there were two and Paul of course was leading us in the right direction in the first place. Silly me, I thought I knew everything, but they can't do surgery without the patient.

When we paid our first installment (which we are now very poor by the way) they gave Paul the wrong wristband. They had given him a wristband for a lady named Karen. Good thing he didn't have her surgery because they were going to have him get an EKG. Who knows what they would have ended up doing (a bypass maybe)!!

Once we were finally settled in Paul got comfortable and things were going good. Things went well for the remainder of the time while we were at the hospital. He had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia and was sleepy, so we didn't leave the hospital until about 1:45pm or maybe 2pm. He did everything he was supposed to. He ate 2 Fig Newtons, a Grape Popsicle, and drank some water. He also did some walking. They gave me the instructions on how to take care of him and then sent us on our way.

We made it all of the way home without any issues until. . . I walked around to Paul's side of the car to help him out and he was holding up the bag that they gave him "just in case he needed it." Well I am here to tell you he more than needed it. All of the water and everything listed above came spewing out. We thought that this was going to be the end of it. We got him settled in. He couldn't quite make it up the stairs, so he settled in on the couch. I got him a pillow and his mom was nice enough to come over while I went and picked up a few things for him.

I came home got him some lunch and gave him the next round of meds. He didn't even keep it down for ten minutes. It came back up again! Poor guy. Pain was starting to set in and now he couldn't even keep the fluids in. It was pretty bad. The doctor's office had to call in some anti-nausea medicine for him, so that he could actually keep something down.

Thankfully today has been better and he is now on the up and up!


Kristen said...

Poor guy, hope he's going better! I was totally nauseous after my surgery too. It was the worst part!

Brigham, Kari, & Lydia said...

That sounds like an adventure and pretty nasty recovery. Good luck for the rest of the recovery!

Glenn Makechnie said...

Yikes! That's scarry! Nice scars though. Aren't you glad we live when we do? As my doctor told me recently, "40 years ago, this would be a death sentance."